Thursday, July 02, 2009

damn, this schinken is good!

Let me tell you: having German friends is good. Especially if you like pork products. Take this treat for example. Recently smuggled into the states, deep within checked baggage, it landed safely. (clearing throat) Ahem, uh, I mean my friends arrived safely with presents. Now, I share and enjoy my first true black forest ham.

It slices kinda like meaty butter that was left out near a camp fire. So, that doesn't exactly sound good, but it's the best I could come up with on the spot. Don't get me wrong here, this stuff is the bomb, the shit, the schinken. (Now, if I only had a speck of respect here.) This is about the best porky thing I have ever tasted. Really. Like, double-good oinktacular at least.

After eating who knows how many slices, I wound up putting it on some pizza for the family. I fired up the pseudo-version 2.0 cob oven that I've been working on recently. It has some big advantages over the last model, but so far the damn thing ain't drafting right, doesn't hold enough heat yet, and smokes out the neighbors. It still turned out a decent pie or two. Then again, with schinken this good on top, you could just about undercook it, drop it on the ground and accidently step on it, then serve it half frozen and folks would still think it about the best damn pizza they ever had. I much prefer mine hot though, with a touch of peach wood smoke, sourdough crust, fresh mozzarella, mushrooms, olives, and the all important smuggled pork.

Thanks G-man and K! You guys are the best.

4 comments:

K and S said...

looks great! now if your Hawaiian friends would "bring" some portuguese sausage your way, your pizzas would be kicked up a couple of notches :)

Chilebrown said...

I can smell thst Schinken all the way up here in Rodeo. You can buy some killer schinken at Dittmers in Mountain View. Bring lots of money because you probably will want to buy the whole store of saucages, bacon, hams and so much more.

Monkey Wrangler said...

Kat: I could certainly use some portuguese sausage right about now. Wait, are you coming around to the SF Bay area? Bring the sausage and I'll trade for anything you want!

Chile: Dittmers huh? Funny you mention. I saw my friends today while running the Alameda Mayor's Race 5K. My friend simply referred to it as the Wursthaus in Mountain View and that he has been known to make special trips there after work. On occasion. I'll take your warning and limit myself to $50, and then while I'm walking out, maybe remember the "emergency" money I sometimes carry and just possibly buy $20 more......

K and S said...

I wish I were, this trip home is short so no major side trips for me :(