Thursday, September 02, 2010

yeasterday

It was all about the wild yeast collection yesterday. Little dude and I went foraging for elderberries to start another mead like the one from last year. We couldn't get many, so I'm starting small with a little over a gallon. Then, fearing that my sourdough starter is trying to die, I mixed up a fresh biga. I picked some grapes from my backyard, mashed them up, added a bit of water and bread flour and whisked it like mad. I feel like an urban yeast farmer.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

You are an urban yeast farmer. That's why we love you.

Chilebrown said...

I am on vacation this week. I have tomatos to trade. Oh and maybe some killer bacon. Give me a call anytime. I can stop by in the morning in between the traffic commute breaks.

Monkey Wrangler said...

Mimi: Awww thanks! I'll update the post sometime with the new-found bubbles.

Chile: Vay-cay this week. Awesome! I'll ring you.

~ RuRu ~ said...

I'm so glad I happened upon this post. I had never heard of biga, and now that I know, I gotta try this. I have wild grapes growing in my backyard here in Tampa, so I'll be making some biga at home the next time I get grapes. Thanks!

Monkey Wrangler said...

RuRu: Thanks for dropping by! Good luck the next time those grapes are in season.